Come to the Come-back-a-thon hack-a-thon at co-thon-a-werks! Make something great in 24 hours! What could possibly go wrong?!
The Stone Pony, one of the world's best known music venues, opened its doors on Feb. 8, 1974 in a building which formerly housed a popular restaurant called Mrs. Jay's.
Founders John P. "Jack" Roig and Robert "Butch" Pielka first met while working in a club on the boardwalk in Seaside Heights. Roig purchased the building which then housed an abandoned disco called The Magic Touch, and enlisted the managerial skills and construction talents of friend and former co-worker Pielka as general manager and minority partner.
Founded in 1871 by New York City broom manufacturer James A. Bradley, Asbury Park has always been a very progressive city, which was one of the visions of its founder.
Bradley, who had recently converted to Methodism, visited a summer camp meeting in Ocean Grove to the south and set his sights immediately to the north by purchasing about 500 acres of oceanfront land, which would eventually become Asbury Park.
Bradley paid $90,000 for the property in 1871 and named it after Francis Asbury, the first bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church in America.
One of the top small live music venues in the world and the heart of the Asbury Park music scene, The Saint's mission is to present and preserve live original music here at the Jersey Shore. Located at 601 Main Street in historic Asbury Park, New Jersey, The Saint is centrally located between New York City (70 minutes away) and Philadelphia (90 minutes).